- Around Atami and Izu
- Travelko Rating
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Atami and Izu
- 72-12 Sasahara, Kawazu-cho Kamo-gun, Shizuoka 413-0512, Japan
- Opening Hours
- During the festival February 5-March 10
Early bloomer found in Izu
”Somei-yoshino” are the most well-known cherry blossoms in Japan and the trees usually start to bloom from late March to the beginning of April. Kawazu town in the Izu peninsula has very popular early blooming cherry blossom trees, "Kawazu-zakura". The blooming season is from February to the beginning of March. The Kawazu cherry blossom festival ("Kawazu-zakura matsuri") is held annually for a month during the blossom season. Compared to "somei-yoshino", its brighter pink petals attract a great number of visitors. They enjoy walking along the banks of the Kawazu river with almost endless rows of "kawazu-zakura" cherry blossom trees lined there, stretching for about 4 km. The yellow color of the mustard flowers under the cherry blossom trees is beautifully added to make the scenery lovely and brighter.
Numerous stalls are lined along the river. A wide variety of foods, locally grown oranges or souvenirs can also be enjoyed. Some events including music performances are occasionally held. People enjoy viewing the blossom and the festival not only in the daytime but also at night. Night illuminations are held during the festival from 6:00pm to 9:00pm.
The festival venue is easily accessible from Kawazu station on the Izukyu railway line. It takes a few minutes from the station. You will soon find stalls that lead you to the cherry blossom trees blossomed along the Kawazu river.
The festival site has approximately 800 "kawazu-zakura" cherry trees, but there are about 8,000 cherry trees in Kawazu town. It is also fun to visit other areas like Kawazu Seven Falls (Kawazu Nanadaru) and Kawazu onsen.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Around Mount Fuji(Shizuoka, Yamanashi)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.