青木ヶ原樹海 Aokigahara Forest
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Fujigoko
- Saiko, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi 401-0332, Japan
- Rain forest
- Opening Hours
- Open Every Day
Woodland Trip at the Foot of Mt. Fuji
Jukai literally means “sea of trees” and Aokigahara-jukai, a forest spread at the northwest of Mt. Fuji, is designated as a national natural treasure. This is a rather new forest formed on the mass of lava, flowed out during the great explosion of the mountain in 864, and the soil is still very thin. This is an extremely tough environment for big trees, because the soil doesn’t have enough capacity to hold sufficient water and is not solid enough to sustain their heavy weight. They spread their roots as wide as possible, but every time a big storm or a typhoon hits this area, several trees fall down. Even during the day time, the forest is dim and the sunlight is limited on the ground. So, for young trees, it also is the great opportunity to grow after the fall of these big cypress or hemlock fir.
Aokigahara-jukai is also famous for several lava caves. The Bat Cave is one of them, unique as a sanctuary for bats. I walked a trekking course from the cave to lake Saiko for about one hour. The bird songs made me feel refreshed and I came across many characteristic features of this primeval forest on lava.
We are required to follow trekking routes so as not to damage trees and moss.
Let’s explore the woods at the foot of Mt. Fuji!
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Around Mount Fuji(Shizuoka, Yamanashi)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.