五箇山 合掌の里 Gokayama Gassho no Sato
Walk around the rustic villages in the mountains
Nestled in the mountains, Gassho-zukuri village of Gokayama was designated as a World Heritage site in 1995. It is apart of the invaluable villages, which only exist in Gokayama (Toyama prefecture) and Shirakawa-go (Gifu prefecture) in Japan.
There are 23 houses in Ainokura Gassho-zukuri village and 9 houses in Suganuma Gassho-zukuri village. These houses were built several hundred years ago and currently about 80 local residents live there.
Gokayama area is also known for Minyo (traditional folk songs), and about 30 songs such as Kokiriko, Mugiyabushi are famous in this area. These songs and traditional dances are performed in the 3 festivals: Johana Mugiya festival held on the third weekend of September, Gokayama Mugiya festival held on the 23rd and 24th September, Kokiriko festival held on the 25th and 26th September.
Gokayama washi is Japanese traditional paper, which has a 1200-year-old history. The paper recognized as one of the Traditional Japan Crafts in 1988 is elegant and graceful, and is respected by famous authors and writers.
There is a paper making experience program. If you're interested, you can experience making Gokayama washi by hand and can see the paper-making process as well.
You know, Japan is rich in hot springs, and of course, there are hot springs nearby here such as Kuroba hot spring and Shin-gokayama hot spring. You'll be able to make your body and mind more relaxed in the nature!
Address: Kaminashi, Nanto 939-1914
Tel: +81 (0)763 66 2468
- Limited express train: About 1 hours from Toyama station to Johana station through Shin-takaoka station. The fare is ¥1700. Take Sekai Isan bus to Wajima roadside station (about 30 min). The fare is ¥730.
- Local train: About one and a half hours from Toyama station to Johana station through Takaoka station. The fare is ¥940. Take Sekai Isan bus to Wajima roadside station (about 30 min). The fare is ¥730.
- Sekai Isan bus: About 25 min from Johana station. Get off at "Ainokura-guchi". The fare is ¥730.
- Sekai isan bus: About 60 min from Shin-takaoka station. Get off at "Ainokura-guchi". The fare is ¥1000.
- Express bus: About 60 min from the Kenroku-en exit bus terminal at Kanazawa station. The fares are ¥1540 (single) and ¥2780 (return).
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.