大本山總持寺祖院 Sotoshu Daihonzan Sojiji Temple
- Temples / Shrines / Cathedrals
- Around Noto-hanto
- Travelko Rating
A magnificent former head temple
Daihonzan Soji-ji-soin is the former head temple of the Soto sect established in 1321 by Keizan Jokin Zenji (Zenji means a master of Zen Buddhism).
In its precincts that cover an area of approximately 66,200 square meters including the mountain, there were about 70 shrine halls and temple buildings, and the temple governed more than 16000 branch temples along with another head temple "Eihei-ji, Fukui prefecture" at that time.
Unfortunately, the temple was destroyed in the 18989 fire. After that, the head temple moved to a temple in Yokohama in 1910, and the temple gate, the Buddha hall construction with zelkova, the Lecture hall and other few beautiful buildings remained here.
Are you interested in Zen, by the way? They have a Zen meditation class and offer Japanese vegetarian dishes to experience. Reservation necessary.
A projection mapping event with Japanese drums "Zen-no-kirameki (http://zennokirameki.com/)" is held for 2 days in the middle of September since 2014. The temple becomes a remarkable spectacle with lights and the virtual reality of film. It's absolutely fantastic!
Address: 1-18-1 Monzen, Monzen-machi, Wajima 927-2156
Tel: +81 (0)768 42 0005
8:00 - 17:00
Adults ¥400 / 15-17 years ¥300 / 12-14 years ¥200 / 6-11 years ¥150
- Limited express train: About 2 hours from Kanazawa station to Anamizu station through Nanao station or Wakura onsen station. The fare is ¥2940. Take Hokutetsu bus (Anamizu line) to Monzen (about 35 min). The fare is ¥690.
- Local train: About 2 and a half hours from Kanazawa station to Anamizu station through Nanao station or Wakura onsen station. The fare is ¥2090. Take Hokutetsu bus (Anamizu line) to Monzen (about 35 min). The fare is ¥690.
- Route bus: About 90 min from Hakui station. Get off at "Sojiji-mae". The fare is ¥1530.
- Monzen express bus: About 2 and a half hours from the the Kenroku-en exit bus terminal at Kanazawa station. Get off at "Sojiji-mae". The fare is ¥2,260.
About 60 min from Wakura-onsen station.
About 30 min from Noto airport.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.