鶴仙渓 Kakusenkei Gorge
- Mountain / Valleys
- Around Kagaonsen
- Travelko Rating
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Kagaonsen
- Yamanakaonsen Higashimachi, Kaga-shi, Ishikawa 922-0114, Japan
- Mountain / Valleys
Enjoy short trekking, drinking tea or feeling silent atmosphere
Kakusenkei is a famous sightseeing spot near Yamanaka Onsen (Hot Spring) since long time ago. Yamanaka Onsen has more than 1300 year history. We can find some descriptions about Yamanaka Onsen in books of the Heian period, the 8th century. The name of Kakusenkei is dirived from a name of a famous calligrapher, Kusakabe Meikaku in the Meiji period. Both of Kakusenkei and Kusakabe Meikaku use the same Chinese character.
Kakusenkei is a road along the Daijoji river between Kurotani bridge and Korogi bridge. It is about 1.3 km. So, it is good for short trekking or taking a walk. The road is sometimes very narrow and has up and down created by nature. So, it seems to be a good exercise naturally. And, there are many interesting and curious rocks, bridges and landscapes.
Near Kurotani bridge, there is Basho-do which is a small monumental house for one of the most famous Japanese haiku poet, Matsuo Basho. It is also one of highlights on Kakusenkei.
And, as other highlights of Kakusenkei, there are three famous bridges, Kurotani bridge, Ayatori bridge and Korogi bridge.
After walking through Kakusenkei, we can enjoy one of hot springs. Even if we do not stay a hotel, there is a public hot spring. And also, there is a hot spring only for feet along Yugekaido. Yugekaido is the main street of Yamanaka Onsen town. There are many souviner shops, cafe, art galleries, shrines and many interesting places along the street.
In Spring, a Japanese style cafe opens near Ayatori bridge. We can enjoy drinking a cup of tea with viewing the landscape near the river.
There are many hotels and Japanese style inns near Kakusenkei. So, we can stay there and enjoy the view of the river and Kakusenkei. And, off course, most hotels have hot springs.
A breathtaking landscape
Kakusenkei is the Daishoji river valley along Yamanaka hot springs. Its entire length is of 1.3 km between Kohrogi Bridge and Kurotani Bridge.
The valley is very famous for being one of the best sightseeing spots in Yamanaka hot springs and the overwhelming beauty of the gorge formed by a row of uniquely shaped rocks due to erosion has been praised as the most picturesque place in Kaga since ancient times.
The highlights are 3 unique bridges; Kohrogi Bridge, Ayatori Bridge, Kurotani Bridge. Each bridge has its own quality.
Kohrogi Bridge is an all-cypress bridge and is symbolic of Kakusenkei and Yamanaka hot springs. Actually the current bridge was rebuilt in 1990 because of it was aging, although the original one was constructed in the Edo period (1603-1868).
Ayatori Bridge which was designed by Hiroshi Teshigahara who is a Japanese film maker and the head of the Sogetsu school of flower arrangement. It exerts a powerful feeling by its distinctive shape and vivid purplish-red color.
Although the fall landscape is particularly great, there is a riverside terrace that opens near Ayatori Bridge from April 1st to October 31st and you can enjoy a superior grade of tea and special sweets created by Japanese Iron chef "Rokusaburo Michiba" while admiring the view.
Around the valley, within the district of Yamanaka Hot Springs, the morning market "Yuzaya morning market" is held every Sunday between the spring and December. And the summer festival is held every night from June 25 to August 24 as well. You can experience the real Japanese culture there.
Address: Yamanaka-onsen, Kaga
Tel: +81 (0)761 78 0330
- Limited express train: About 25 min from Kanazawa station to Kaga Onsen station. The fare is ¥1510.
- Local train: About 60 min from Kanazawa station to Kaga Onsen station. The fare is ¥760.
- Route bus: About 30 min from Kaga Onsen station. Get off at "Kohrogi-bashi". The fare is ¥460.
- Kaga Yunosato express bus: About 70 min (sea course) or 100 min (mountain course) from Kanazawa station. Get off at "Kikunoyu-mae". The fare is ¥1350.
- About 20 min from Kaga Onsen station. The fare is about ¥3000.
- About 35 min from Komatsu airport. The fare is about ¥7000.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.