大涌谷 Owaku-dani Valley
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedOpen Every Day
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- 1251 Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa, 250-0631, Japan
- Opening Hours
- Open Every Day
Live seven years longer eating black eggs!
Owakudani is a valley with hydrogen sulfide gas. You can get there either by car or by Hakone ropeway. It is located at about 1,000m above sea level. Right after you open the door of the car or get off the ropeway, you will smell sulfur which is a strange way to welcome people!
If you walk up the hill and get closer to the smoke area, you will find a boiling pond. This is the place where black eggs are cooked. They put the normal white chicken eggs into the boiling pond to create a chemical reaction. The calcium on the surface of the egg reacts with the iron contained in the pond and makes the eggshells black. You can buy 5 eggs for ¥500 (JPY). It looks weird but if you take off the shell, inside is a normal boiled egg. It is said that if you eat the egg, you can live seven years longer! There is a ropeway used only to carry the eggs.
This is also a good place to view Mt. Fuji. On a clear day, you will have a great view of the mountain.
Owakudani is located in the middle of the Hakone Round Trip Route and is easily accessible. There are many restaurants and souvenir shops. So this is a good place to stop during your adventurous journey.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Yokohama, Hakone, Kamakura (Kanagawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.
No replies can be sent to you if you make an inquiry through this form.
If you would like to receive a reply from Travelko, please contact us through the Contact us button on the right of your screen and leave your full name and e-mail address so we can answer you.
We will use your comments and/or questions to improve our services.