仲見世通り Nakamise Shopping Street
- Other Walks / City Walking
- Ueno / Asakusa / Tokyo Skytree Area
- Travelko Rating
Nice Souvenir Street in front of Senso-ji temple
If you would like to buy Tokyo’s souvenirs, this is the best place. There are postcards, key chains, kimono, yukata, wood block printings, Japanese dolls and so on.
Not only do they have souvenirs but Japanese sweets as well. Red bean buns, mochi rice cake, senbei rice cookies etc... They cost from 100yen to 200yen per piece. Very reasonable! This 250m long shopping street is so much fun. Especially, I like ‘Age Manju’- fried buns with red beans and ‘Kuro Goma Senbei’-black sesame rice cracker.
While walking through Nakamise, you will find many cat statues (or dolls) waving his arm and hand up. They are called ‘Maneki neko’-welcoming fortune cat. These cats actually hold ancient Japanese coins in their arms and it’s believed that you would welcome more customers and money if you put it in the shop or restaurant. Many shop owners buy them and wish their business will go well.
Also, there are many Kimono shops which have a lot of colors (pink, yellow, blue, purple etc), design and sizes. It maybe more reasonable buying kimono here compared with Kimono shop in the department store because the materials are different. Of course, you can try them on before buying!
After 6pm, many shops are closed but that is the time when you start to see beautiful paintings on the store shutters which depict Asakusa’s history and traditional seasonal events. Getting there at night, don’t forget to look at this artistic wall paintings, it’s worth seeing.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Tokyo
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.