小樽市総合博物館 Otaru Museum
- Around Otaru
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedTuesday (Open if it is a public holiday, closed on Wednesday instead), Year-End and New Year Holidays (From 29 December to 3 January), Irregularly
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Otaru
- 1-3-6, Temiya, Otaru-shi, Hokkaido, 047-0041, Japan
- Opening Hours
- Tuesday (Open if it is a public holiday, closed on Wednesday instead), Year-End and New Year Holidays (From 29 December to 3 January), Irregularly
This is where to start your Hokkaido journey!
If you love railways, then Otaru Sogo Museum in Temiya is worth visiting !
Following the history of the railway and steam locomotive, both of which have contributed a lot to the Hokkaido pioneering, you would be able to sense the old days of this northern island. There is also a short trip with American style locomotive that looks like the character of Back To The Future Ⅲ!
The transportation to go there is Chuo Bus bound for Otaru aquarium, basically one in 1 hour, ten minutes ride. The admission fee is 500 JPY.
The annex of the museum is located next to the tourist information center along the Otaru canal. In the classic building with Syachihoko --an imaginary animal regarding as a symbol of prosperity -- the visitor can see the days of rich life in Otaru, notably with the relations of herring fishing.
Otaru is originally one of the historical city in Hokkaido, as well as Hakodate, so before visiting many charming places along the tiny street, get in touch with the sense of “Nishin-chozya”, some successful business executive through the herring fishing.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Hokkaido
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.