北海道大学 Hokkaido University Sapporo Campus
- Around Sapporo Station
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedAsk in facilities for details
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Sapporo Station
- 5 Kita8-jonishi, Kita-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido 060-0808, Japan
- Opening Hours
- Depending on Facilities
- Ask in facilities for details
A college campus or a park?
In 1876, Sapporo Agriculture College was established with Dr. William S. Clark as the vice principal invited by the Hokkaido Development Commission. He was then the president of the Massachusetts Agriculture College in the USA. He gave the students the famous message “Boys be ambitious!” when he returned to the USA. The commemorative bust of Dr. Clark can be seen at the West end of the central lawn.
In 1918, Hokkaido Imperial University was established, it was then renamed Hokkaido University in 1947.
Today there are 13 faculties in this university with about 18 thousand students for 6 thousand educators and officers.
The most attractive part of this university is its vast park-like campus. The 1.8 million square meters (stretching 2 km from North to South, and 1.6 km from East to West) is located in the center of Sapporo which has a population of about 2 million people. Buildings cover a mere 12% of this extensive campus, with the remaining consisting of open spaces such as farms, green spaces, forest, creeks, and pathways.
I feel nostalgic of my campus life when I see students eating “Genghis Khan” lamb BBQ while drinking beer in the garden of the university! Eating outside on campus is only allowed for students but you will find different nice restaurants on campus too.
You can also rent bicycles near JR Sapporo Station and enjoy riding them through the campus.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Hokkaido
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.
No replies can be sent to you if you make an inquiry through this form.
If you would like to receive a reply from Travelko, please contact us through the Contact us button on the right of your screen and leave your full name and e-mail address so we can answer you.
We will use your comments and/or questions to improve our services.