姫路城 Himeji Castle
- World Heritages Buildings (Palace / Castles)
- Around Himeji
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedYear-End and New Year Holidays
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Himeji
- 68 Hommachi, Himeji-shi, Hyogo 670-0012, Japan
- World Heritages
- Buildings (Palace / Castles)
- Opening Hours
- [Summer season] 9:00-17:00 (Reception closing 18:00), [Winter season] 9:00-16:00 (Reception closing 17:00)
- Year-End and New Year Holidays
Beautiful white castle with great history and culture
The Himeji Castle, also known as “Hakuro Castle”, as its elegant white appearance is located in the heart of the Himeji town. The castle was originally built around the beginning of the 17th century, and it went through and survived several wars in the history. It is said that it was covered with a black net at night to hide it from enemies during World War II. It was registered as a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage in 1993. It had been restored since 2009 and eopened in 2015.
Taking notice to the walls and roofs would take you on a time travel through the history and events that the Himeji Castle has witnessed. You would be surprised by how many various shaped stones were precisely built up on the wall.
The color of the stone is yellow-ish, but some of them have partially turned to black because of the rain. The owner of the Castle has changed through the history; as many as 31 rulers from 6 houses, which you can tell from kamon, a family crest placed on the gate and roof of the castle.
If you walk around the whole site, it would take at least three to four hours. Besides it’s likely to be crowded close to the afternoon, so starting your tour early is preferred. (The Himeji Castle opens at 9:00) Also, you would need to take a lot of steep stairs to go up to the Castle-Keep, dress in comfy and easy-to move clothes; you also need to take off your shoes when you enter the Castle.
What’s around the neighborhood of the Himeji Castle?
If you are looking for somewhere to have a break, try Jidai cafe, where the ninja waiters will greet you. In addition to typical café menu items such as tea and dango (Japanese sweets made from rice flower), why don’t you treat yourself with the ninja pafait, one of their specialties? Jidai cafe is located on the main street, and it takes about a 10 minute walk from the Castle.
Jidai cafe: http://yumeoriyakata.com/en/initial/access
Is the review useful to plan your trip??
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kobe, Himeji (Hyogo)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.