北口本宮 冨士浅間神社 Kitaguchihongu Fuji Sengenjinjha
- World Heritages Buildings (Temples / Shrines / Cathedrals)
- Around Fujigoko
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedOpen Every Day
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Fujigoko
- 5558 Kamiyoshida, Fujiyoshida-shi, Yamanashi 403-0005, Japan
- World Heritages
- Buildings (Temples / Shrines / Cathedrals)
- Opening Hours
- Open Every Day
Mecca of Mt. Fuji worship
Sengen shrine is the shrine dedicated to the God of volcano and there are more than 1300 Sengen shrines throughout Japan. Most of them enshrine the God or Goddess of Mt. Fuji. This Kitaguchi Hongu Fuji Sengen shrine is one of the largest of all and deeply connected to Fujiko, a religious groups that worship Mt. Fuji. The current main hall was built in the 17th century, but the origin of the shrine can be traced back to the 2nd century. The torii shrine gate before the main hall is one of the largest wooden torii gates in Japan.
The shrine is in the forest consisting mainly of Japanese cedar and cypress trees, which are more than 300 years old. At each side of the main hall are the huge Japanese cedar and the cypress. The cedar is about 1000 years old and the cypress is called husband and wife tree for its shape.
The shrine is also a starting point of Mt. Fuji climbing trail. This is the only trail that begins at the foothill of the mountain now. On June 30th every year, a ceremony is held to mark the beginning of the climbing season.
The main festival of the shrine and the town is the fire festival held on 26th and 27th of August. About 70 torches over 3 meters are made and placed along the main street and set on fire. The origin of the festival is not known but it has continued at least for 400 years. The festival is considered as one of the three most unique festivals in Japan.
It is about 25 minutes’ walk from Fujisan station to the shrine. You can also get here by bus from Fujisan station or Kawaguchiko station.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Around Mount Fuji(Shizuoka, Yamanashi)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.