本栖湖 Motosuko Lake
- World Heritages Nature / Scenic spots (Lake / Falls)
- Around Fujigoko
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedOpen Every Day
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Fujigoko
- Motosu, Fujikawaguchiko-machi Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi 401-0337, Japan
- World Heritages
- Nature / Scenic spots (Lake / Falls)
- Opening Hours
- Open Every Day
Quiet and relaxing, good place for outdoor activities
Lake Motosu is one of the five lakes of Mt. Fuji located at the foothill of the northwest side of the mountain. It is the 3rd largest and the deepest of the five with maximum depth of 121 meters. It is least developed for tourism and no motor boats are allowed. Thanks to that, you can enjoy quiet nature here. It is a popular place for camping, kayaking and wind surfing. Fresh water, high altitude scuba diving is available too.
Hiking up nearby Mt. Ryugatake is also recommended. Around New Year’s Day, Diamond Fuji, or the sunrise from the summit of Mt. Fuji, can be seen from Mt. Ryugatake.
The lake is known for the view from its lakeshore, which is printed on the backside of Japanese 1000yen note. This view point is located on the northwest of the lake and a common thing to do here is to take a picture of Mt. Fuji together with 1000yen bill.
From middle of April to end of May, the Shiba-zakura or moss phlox festival is held near Lake Motosu. About 800,000 roots of moss phlox of 6 different kinds are planted and they paint 2.4ha compound pink, white and light purple color. Behind this beautifully colored carpet stands Mt. Fuji. The event draws thousands of tourists every year.
Lake Motosu is about 20km away from Lake Kawaguchi, the center of tourism in this area. It takes about 30 minutes by car and 50 minutes by bus from Kawaguchiko station.
Is the review useful to plan your trip??
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Around Mount Fuji(Shizuoka,Yamanashi)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.