鈴木大拙館 D.T.Suzuki Museum
- Around Kanazawa
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedMonday (The weekday when Monday is just after it when it's a holiday.), New year holidays December 29-January 3
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Kanazawa
- 3-4-20, Hondamachi, Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa, 920-0964, Japan
- Opening Hours
- 9:30-17:00 (The ticket office closes at 16:30)
- Monday (The weekday when Monday is just after it when it's a holiday.), New year holidays December 29-January 3
A new spot to know, study and contemplate in Kanazawa
D.T. Suzuki Museum is a place to know about Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki, to study his mind and thoughts and to contemplate deeply by ourselves. D.T. Suzuki is a Buddhist philosopher. He was born in Kanazawa and wrote many books about Zen Buddhism and Japanese culture. He was fluent in English and lectured in US and Europe. With "The book of Tea" by Okakura Tenshin and "Bushido" by Nitobe Inazo, they say that his book, "Zen and Japanese Culture" used to be read like a textbook to know Japan by foreigners.
The museum consists of three wings and three gardens. They are connected by corridors. After the reception, we walk through the Interior Corridor near the Vestibule Garden. We can see a Camphor tree and explanation about this museum in both Japanese and English.
Although photography is prohibited in the Exhibition Space and the Learning Space, we can see his data, photos and works of calligraphy. In the Learning Space, there is a table, chairs and his Japanese and English books. When I visited, a foreign tourist was reading a book while sitting near the Roji Garden. It seems to be a comfortable space for reading.
After the Learning Space, we mainly walk outside freely or stay at the Contemplative Space. The main feature of this museum is the Water Garden. It is reflecting the scenery around. I thought about "Zen and International Culture" rather than "Zen and Japanese Culture" this time. As far as I know, Steve Jobs is a recent person who was involved in Zen. There are some similarities between reaching enlightenment and coming up with an idea from nothing. The compact culture is also similar to the culture of tea ceremony.
Kanazawa city planned and organized this museum. Then, it is designed by Taniguchi Yoshio and his Associates. Taniguchi redesigned The Museum of Modern Art in New York. Therefore, some people come here to view his architecture. Actually, this building also has similarity of the simplicity of modern art, specially minimalism or formalism like Donald Judd. We also feel the simplicity of Zen Culture. Besides, as for not only observation but also strolling and thinking, it is similar to contemporary art. There is 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa for about 10 minutes on foot from this museum. Next to this museum, there is also Kanazawa Nakamura Memorial Museum. Please check them up.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.