菅沼合掌造り集落 Suganuma Gassho Community
- World Heritages Walk around (Other Walks / City Walking)
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedOpen Every Day
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- 436 Suganuma, Nanto-shi, Toyama 939-1973, Japan
- World Heritages
- Walk around (Other Walks / City Walking)
- Opening Hours
- Open Every Day
Paddy fields and Gassho style houses in relaxing atmosphere
Shuganuma Gassho Village is a little smaller and similar to Ainokura Gassho Village. We can see small paddy fields or ponds among houses in the village. There are not so many people. We can look around in relaxing atmosphere. Around the entrance from a bus station, there are some restaurants, cafes and souvenir shops. We can take a break and enjoy shopping or eating there.
And also, there are two museums, Ensho No Yakata and Gokayama Minzokukan. Ensho means ingredients of gunpowder. And, it was one of three main industries of Gokayama in the Edo period (1603-1867). Others are sericulture and papermaking. Agriculture and forestry are also basic industries in Gokayama.
After 16th century, Kaga domain reigned this district and ordered to create ingredients of gunpowder. In the museum, we can see some tools, equipment and explanation about Ensho and their life.
In Gokayama Minzokukan (Folk Museum), there are more than 200 daily life tools, commodities and some equipment. We can look some displays about sericulture and learn the process in the Gassho style house. There are also some tools and equipment of papermaking. And, we can see some products using the paper and learn about papermaking.
Suganuma Gassho Village is relatively smaller than Ainokura Gassho Village. However, if we go through the village and go straight, we reach Gassho No Sato. It is a facility where we can experience life of Gassho style houses. There are 13 Gassho style houses which was relocated and reconstructed. And, we can stay and learn more about life of Gokayama.
Kagowatashi is displayed around the entrance of Gassho No Sato. Kagowatashi is old transportation which is created with using a basket and ropes. After 17th century, Gokayama was a place of exile. And, it was prohibited to build any bridge. So, they used Kagowatashi. Kagowatashi is also depicted in Ukiyoe of Hiroshige. It was one of transportation in the Edo period.
And, there is an elevator between Suganuma Gassho Village and Gassho No Sato. If we go up by the elevator, we can reach a national road. And, if we walk toward a bus stop for a few minutes, there is an observation spot. We can look the whole view of Suganuma Gassho Village. So, please check it out.
The best thing of all, time stands still there
Situated between mountains and Sho River, Suganuma Gassho-zukuri Village is designated a World Heritage Site in 1995 along with Ainokura Gassho-zukuri Village.
Gassho-zukuri is a specific and unique Japanese architectural style with a distinct steep roof to deal with the severe natural environment, which is existing only Gokayama (Toyama Prefecture) and Shirakawa-go (Gifu Prefecture) in Japan.
There are 9 houses built several hundred years ago in Suganuma Gassho-zukuri Village (23 houses in Ainokura Gassho-zukuri Village), and currently about 80 local residents in total live the villages.
In the village, other than the extraordinary beautiful scenery, you can learn about the life in the mountain village at Gokayama Museum of History and Folklor. Daily necessities with ingenuities and good ideas of life in the mountain village, have been collected, kept and exhibited.
Even if you need to rest or are hungry, don't worry. You'll find 3 nice restaurants offering tempura using seasonal foods, a dish of edible wild plants or a dish of river fish, buckwheat noodles, and a tea room you can enjoy coffee, tea and Japanese confectionery in the village. Above all, you must try Tenzaru-soba (cold soba served with a dipping sauce and tempura)!
So, when you visit the precious villages, you should follow the several rules: don't trespass on private property, don't take flowers or plants as some souvenirs, refrain from visiting after dusk or early in the morning, refrain from behavior that is disturbing to the residents.
Address: Kaminashi, Nanto 939-1914
Tel: +81 (0)763 66 2468
- Limited express train: About 1 hours from Toyama station to Johana station through Shin-takaoka station. The fare is ¥1700. Take Sekai Isan Bus to Wajima Roadside Station (about 30 min). The fare is ¥1100.
- Local train: About one and a half hours from Toyama station to Johana station through Takaoka station. The fare is ¥940. Take Sekai Isan Bus to Wajima Roadside Station (about 30 min). The fare is ¥1100.
- Sekai isan Bus: About 40 min from Johana Station. Get off at "Suganuma". The fare is ¥1100.
- Sekai isan Bus: About 60 min from Shin-takaoka Station. Get off at "Suganuma". The fare is ¥1200.
- Express Bus: About 60 min from the Kenroku-en Exit Bus Terminal at Kanazawa Station. The fares are ¥1540 (single) and ¥2780 (return).
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.