金沢城 Kanazawa Castle
- Buildings (Palace / Castles)
- Around Kanazawa
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedOpen Every Day
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Kanazawa
- 1-1, Marunochi, Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa, 920-0937, Japan
- Buildings (Palace / Castles)
- Opening Hours
- [March 1-October 15] 7:00-18:00; [The last day of October 16-February] 8:00-17:00
- Open Every Day
The starting point of Kanazawa City
Kanazawa City flourished as a castle town first. Many houses and shops were built around Kanazawa Castle. So, we can see Kanazawa Castle as the origin of Kanazawa.
In 1583, the feudal lord, Maeda Toshiie entered Kanazawa Castle and started to create the basic of Kanazawa.
In June, Kanazawa Hyakumangoku Festival takes place every year. It is the biggest festival in Kanazawa. And, the festival is for the incident in 1583. A famous actor performing Maeda Toshiie and an actress performing his wife, Omatsunokata lead a long parade. And, during the festival, various events take place.
In the long history, Kanazawa Castle had disasters on some occasions. The donjon used to be in Kanazawa Castle. But, due to lightning, it was burn down and never rebuilt. It was 1602 and the year before starting the Edo period. And, some buildings were also burn down due to some reasons.
Now, Ishikawa-mon Gate remains as the original. And, it is registered as an important cultural property.
As for other important cultural properties, there are Tsurumarusoko Storehouse and Sanjikken nagaya.
Hishiyagura, Gojikken nagaya and Hashizume-mon tsuzuki yagura were restored very exactly in 2001. They are incredible. The inside of the buildings are now like museums. And, we can listen to English audio guides.
Kahoku-mon gate was also restored in 2010.
Kanazawa Castle Park is very large. It is 28.5 hectares. And, there are up and down. If we watch every highlight, it will be some trekking. And, depending on each entrance, the tour will be changed.
One of the most popular entrances is Ishikawa-mon Gate. It is close to Kenrokuen. We can get an English map at the entrance of Kenrokuen.
If you go to Kanazawa Castle after visiting Oyama Jinja, there is an entrance of Gyokusen'inmaru. Gyokusen'inmaru is a very beautiful Japanese garden and one of highlights.
If you go to Kanazawa Castle after 21st century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, Imori Moat is the nearest highlight. It was also restored in 2010. And, we can see various types of stone walls. They are exhibited like contemporary art with explanation. In a recent experiment, Japanese stone walls were proved stronger than concrete foundation. So, some foreign researchers and construction workers visited to research and learn stone walls of Japanese castle.
In any case, please check a map and routes, before you visit Kanazawa Castle Park.
Walking through the castle park surrounded by lush greenery
Kanazawa Castle Park is called the heart of green of Kanazawa because of a verdant environment. The parks used to be Kanazawa University being famous and popular as the university in the castle. It's very unique, isn't it?
After the university moved out, the land converted into the park. There are some of the entrances to the park and you can start walking from wherever you want but normally you start your interesting trip when you step into Kanazawa Castle Park through Ishikawa-mon (the gate has been designated as a national important cultural property built in 1788).
Beyond the groomed San-no-maru square, you can see Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura and Hashizume-mon gate recreated in the last decade. After it took 3 years and 4 months since 1998, finally the spectacular sight showed up!
Hishi Yagura used to be a watchtower for observing the front and the rear gate, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura was another watchtower for Ni-no-maru square, Gojukken Nagaya used to be as a weapons store and Hashizume-mon gate was the most suit-and-tie gate of the castle.
And Kahoku-mon gate, or the main gate of Kanazawa Castle, also brought back in its original state for the first time in 130 years. It has been recreated in exact detail by top local craftsmen.
Explore the rest of this amazing park including Sanjukken nagaya and see a widely varying style of artistic stone walls have a significant bearing on Kanazawa Castle.
Kenroku-en is the most premier cherry blossom viewing spots of Kanazawa, Kanazawa Castle Park, however, is another popular cherry blossom spot too. Don't forget to go to both the garden and the park when you visit Kanazawa in the season of cherry blossoms!
Address: 1-1 Marunouchi, Kanazawa 920-0937
Tel: +81 (0)76 234 3800
1 March - 15 October 7:00 - 18:00 / 16 October - 28 or 29 February 8:00 - 17:00
- Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura, Hashizume-mon gate, Kahoku-mon gate, Gyokusen-an Rest House：9:00 - 16:30 (last entry 16:00)
Admission: Free entry, except for Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura.
- Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura
Adults (18+ years) ¥310 / Children (6-17 years) ¥100
- Route Bus: About 10 min from the Kenroku-en Exit Bus Terminal at Kanazawa Station. Get off at "Kenroku-en shita / Kanazawa-jo".
- Joka-machi Kanazawa Syuyu Bus (Hop On Hop Off Sightseeing Bus): About 20 min from the Kenroku-en Exit Bus Terminal at Kanazawa Station. Get off at "Kenroku-en shita / Kanazawa-jo".
- Kenroku-en Shuttle Bus (Hop On Hop Off Sightseeing Bus): About 20 min from the Kenroku-en Exit Bus Terminal at Kanazawa Station. Get off at "Kenroku-en shita / Kanazawa-jo".
- Machi Bus (Bus services limited to weekends and holidays): About 20 min from the Kenroku-en Exit Bus Terminal at Kanazawa Station. Get off at "21st Century Museum / Kenroku-en".
About 10 min from Kanazawa Station.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.