金沢城 Kanazawa Castle
- Buildings (Palace / Castles)
- Around Kanazawa
- Travelko Rating
- ClosedOpen Every Day
Maps are rarely carried out with accessing from mainland China.
- Around Kanazawa
- 1-1, Marunochi, Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa, 920-0937, Japan
- Buildings (Palace / Castles)
- Opening Hours
- [March 1-October 15] 7:00-18:00; [The last day of October 16-February] 8:00-17:00
- Open Every Day
The starting point of Kanazawa
The city of Kanazawa flourished as a castle town first. Many houses and shops were built around Kanazawa castle. So, Kanazawa castle can be considered the origin of Kanazawa.
In 1583, the feudal lord, Toshiie MAEDA entered Kanazawa castle and started to create the base of Kanazawa.
In June, Kanazawa Hyakumangoku festival takes place every year. It is the biggest festival in Kanazawa. And, the festival is to celebrate what happened in 1583. A famous actor performing Toshiie MAEDA and an actress performing his wife, Omatsunokata lead a long parade and various events take place during the festival.
Kanazawa castle had some disasters during its long history. The dungeon used to be in Kanazawa castle. But, due to lightning, it burnt down in 1602 and never rebuilt. Some buildings also burnt down along the way for different reasons.
Now, the gate called Ishikawa-mon remains as the original. And, it is registered as an Important Cultural Property.
As for other important cultural properties, there are Tsurumarusoko storehouse and Sanjikken nagaya.
Hishiyagura, Gojikken nagaya and Hashizume-mon tsuzuki yagura were restored in 2001. They are incredible. The inside of the buildings are now like museums. And, you can listen to English audio guides.
Kahoku-mon gate was also restored in 2010.
Kanazawa castle park is very large. It is 28.5 hectares. And, there are ups and downs.
One of the most popular entrances is the gate of Ishikawa-mon. It is close to Kenrokuen park. You can get an English map at the entrance of Kenrokuen park.
If you go to Kanazawa castle after visiting Oyama shrine, there is an entrance called Gyokusen'inmaru. This is also the name of a very beautiful Japanese garden and one of highlights.
If you go to Kanazawa castle after the 21st century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa, Imori moat is the nearest highlight. It was also restored in 2010. You can see various types of stone walls. They are exhibited like contemporary art with explanation.In a recent experiment, Japanese stone walls were proved stronger than concrete foundation. So, some researchers and construction workers visited this place to research and learn about stone walls in Japanese castles.
Please check a map and the different routes, before you visit Kanazawa castle park.
Walking through the castle park
Kanazawa Castle Park is called the heart of green of Kanazawa. The parks used to belong to Kanazawa University and they were as famous and popular as the university. It is very unique to have a university in a castle!
After the university was moved to another place, this area was converted into a park exclusively. There are several entrances to the park and you can start walking from wherever you want but normally you start your interesting trip when you step into Kanazawa Castle Park through Ishikawa-mon (the gate has been designated as a National Important Cultural Property built in 1788).
Beyond the groomed San-no-maru square, you can see Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura and Hashizume-mon gate that were all recreated the past decade.
Hishi Yagura used to be a tower for observing the front and the rear gate, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura was another tower for Ni-no-maru square, Gojukken Nagaya used to be a weapon store and Hashizume-mon gate was the most suit-and-tie gate of the castle.
Kahoku-mon gate, or the main gate of Kanazawa Castle was also brought back to its original state for the first time in 130 years. It was recreated in exact details by top local craftsmen.
Explore the rest of this amazing park including Sanjukken nagaya and enjoy the many artistic stone walls that have a significant bearing on Kanazawa Castle.
Kenroku-en is the most popular cherry blossom viewing spots of Kanazawa but Kanazaw Castle Park is also very famous too. Don't forget to go to both the garden and the park when you visit Kanazawa in the season of cherry blossoms!
Address: 1-1 Marunouchi, Kanazawa 920-0937
Tel: +81 (0)76 234 3800
1 March - 15 October 7:00 - 18:00 / 16 October - 28 or 29 February 8:00 - 17:00
- Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura, Hashizume-mon gate, Kahoku-mon gate, Gyokusen-an rest house：9:00 - 16:30 (last entry 16:00)
Admission: Free entry, except for Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura.
- Hishi Yagura, Gojukken Nagaya, Hashizume-mon Tsuzuki Yagura
Adults (18+ years) ¥310 / Children (6-17 years) ¥100
- Route bus: About 10 min from the Kenroku-en exit bus terminal at Kanazawa station. Get off at "Kenroku-en shita / Kanazawa-jo".
- Joka-machi Kanazawa Syuyu bus (Hop On Hop Off Sightseeing Bus): About 20 min from the Kenroku-en exit bus terminal at Kanazawa station. Get off at "Kenroku-en shita / Kanazawa-jo".
- Kenroku-en shuttle bus (Hop On Hop Off Sightseeing Bus): About 20 min from the Kenroku-en exit bus terminal at Kanazawa station. Get off at "Kenroku-en shita / Kanazawa-jo".
- Machi bus (Bus services limited to weekends and holidays): About 20 min from the Kenroku-en exit bus terminal at Kanazawa station. Get off at "21st Century Museum / Kenroku-en".
About 10 min from Kanazawa station.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Kanazawa, Noto (Ishikawa)
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.