ゴールデン街 Shinjuku Golden Town
- Entertainment (Nightlife)
- Shinjuku Area
- Travelko Rating
Get lost off the beaten track!
Eastern part of Kabukicho is called Shinjuku Golden-gai which is an area with a lot of small bars on both sides of the narrow streets. There are more than 200 bars in a small area. It has developed from black market and prostitution district after the WWⅡ, but it is not dangerous area anymore.
Some bars are quiet and others are noisy with karaoke or loud music.
Some bars play jazz music and others play Enka (Japanese ballad).
Some bars are for everyone and others are for the gay. Of course you can enter even though you are not gay.
Some bars impose cover charge ¥500-1,000 (JPY) and others bars are free of cover charge.
If you go there several times, you will find your favorite bar. But if you go there for the first time, I suggest walking around the area first. It is interesting to enjoy the unique atmosphere that you cannot find any other areas. When you choose one bar, it is better to enter the one indicating the charge clearly outside of the shops or you can ask to the staff.
I recommend Champion. It is located at the entrance of the area and door is always open. They don't impose the cover charge and one drink cost only ¥500 (JPY).
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Tokyo
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.