阿寒湖 Akan Lake
- Nature / Scenic spots (Lake / Falls)
- Around Kushiro and Lake Akan
- Travelko Rating
A beautiful natural lake
Lake Akan is located in the Akan National Park, in the eastern part of Hokkaido. Because it is far away from any urban spot, the lake Akan has somehow maintained iits ancient nature. One can find several factors around Lake Akan with which I can define it as a “Lake of Legend”---for instance, a group of marimo.
Marimo is a kind of green alga, and, mysteriously enough, the lake Akan is the only place on Earth where marimo has grown up so much. The green ball-shaped weed often takes longer than human life to become as big as the size of child. We can see some marimos in the special aquarium located on the small island of lake Akan. There is ferry service from lake Akan Hot Spring Resort that takes about 90 minutes, 1,650 JPY for adult, 880 JPY for children. （group discount is available. )
Another noteworthy factor of lake Akan is its Ainu Kotan (Kotan means habitation in Ainu language). Among several replicas of Kotan, or habitation set up in Hokkaido, one in lake Akan area is quite real. There is also an Ainu Theater, where you can see musicals and dance performances. The fee is 1,650 JPY for adult and 880 for children, with group discount.
- * The information above is from the date of the review. Please be aware that some of the content may vary from the most recent information.
Other Sightseeing Spots of Hokkaido
Do you need more information?
Your requests are highly appreciated. Please send your feedback by filling out this form.
- e.g. I would like to know your recommendation for Seafood restaurants in Santorini.
- e.g. I would like to have information about the highest bungy spot.
- e.g. Would need information about a specific city
- e.g. Information is not correct, not the latest one.